1. Be able to create a single pulse: We have this already.
2. Lower the power of each pulse (measurable I guess by the voltage).
3. Be able to create a train of pulses of high frequency: This model : further down the page.
And now that we are already here, I suggest the following for the future colonisation of space:
1. All solid state devices (no moving parts)
2. A basic system that is inviolable: Ship basic ie. The ship will always perform with certain basic maneuvers - it will be designed this way.
3. Force fields: If we can create zeptosecond pulses for antigravity we can have force fields.
4. Lego building blocks as the fundamental model to ship building: Modular and low cost.
5. Design of systems to be unbreakable for all eternity: A model far removed from our consumer based designs of today.