Friday, November 28, 2008

Sibling values

My nine year old son believes that he should treat his four and a half year old sister as he would another nine year old. Sometimes, this can lead to violent outbursts and just yesterday, he tripped her up like a kung fu master with a young Po, pulling her legs out from under her.

Now I am not one that believes in yelling at my children, nor do I practice the use of that age old Malaysian custom, the rotan. Age old only because the poorer families practice this form of torture. I don't believe that the more knowledgeble and hence likely to be wealthier families do this, or I have yet to see one anyway.

The rotan is a smoothed cane somewhere between a 3/4 of a metre and a metre long, and about 4 cm to 10 cm in diameter, used to deliver a blow that whithers the mind of the receiver, the sting as it cuts into the flesh even used as corporal punishment in Malaysian jails.

Today we talked about young babies and older children. At nine, all talk sounds like "blah, blah, blah" or so I was told. The next best thing was to ground him without the TV and the computer. That seems to have worked.

Will get back to this in the future I am sure.

No comments: